I use the term “inspiration” loosely, as I feel it has multiple meanings – both narrow and broad. You can be inspired to do something specific. For example, a gorgeous sunset might inspire a particular poem or painting of that sunset. But you can also be inspired more generally. My post about writing quotes for inspiration is an example.
Most times, I find general inspiration most helpful, as it often kicks me in the pants just enough to continue me on my merry writing way.
Two more inspirations of the broader category came to me today. One was from my favorite Warlock, Pon, of Fel Concentration (who also happens to be one of my awesome guildies!), and a comic she sited by Oatmeal about the writing life.
The second was a post on WoW Insider. Not only was it fascinating to hear about someone who actually got to live and breathe the makings of the game that inspires so many of us, but I really liked the fact she included a Top 5 for aspiring 3D artists. I thought it to be great inspiration for us writers as well, with a bit of tweaking.
The Slightly-Tweaked Top Five Tips for Aspiring Writers
- Be meticulous about every step of the process. Your effort will shine through.
- Reach out to others for critique, and do not discriminate amongst your critics. Your best critics will appear in the most unlikely places.
- Network naturally. Just put your work out there for others to see. When people see you taking and giving feedback, and improving from it, friendships are created!
- Figure out what you are passionate writing about, and do it!
- Don’t be afraid to just jump into something new – be it a new genre or even a new medium!